Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Why live the Simple Life?

People has often asked me about a minimalist lifestyle. I like to think of it as simple living. But there are some definite benefits. I found some of the reasons on the Simple Living Resource Group

Ecological. Lower consumption of goods and services benefits the environment.
Financial. Expenses are reduced dramatically resulting in a more economically sustainable lifestyle.
Spiritual. For years, people seeking spiritual growth and inner peace have established for themselves simple spaces, clothing, and food to enhance their personal development.
Consider monks, nuns, Buddhists, and spiritual leaders such as Gandhi, Mother Theresa, and St. Francis. Simple surroundings enhances the ability to look inward and upward.
Health. Eating simple and healthy reduces diet induced illnesses.
Focus. Sparse surroundings enhances the ability to focus on work and pleasure.

Simple living is stress free living. With no bills laying about, nothing that visibly needs to be cleaned or put away, and no extra stuff lying around that would lend to making an easy mess, you can relax in good conscience and truly enjoy your environment. A relaxed person is a healthy person.

Simple living frees up your schedule. When you don't own a lot of things, things become easy to find. Cleaning is quick and easy. I've often heard that Einstein had a closet with 7 identical suits. Shirts, pants, Ties and Shoes. (He was notorious for not wearing socks.) This way he never had to spend time thinking about what he was going to wear that day. He would just reach in and take the next set. When he got to the sixth one he would send the others out to be cleaned.

The hardest thing about losing weight was the clothes. When you're as big as I was, a 68 waist and wearing 6X and 7X shirts a single pair of (cheap) pants could be $50 or $60 dollars. T-shirts were $30 to $50 dollars apiece. Everything was more. When I was losing weight I hated to get rid of my "fat" clothes because some where in the back of my mind was if I gain the weight back I would have to spend that money all over again.

0 comments: