Saturday, December 29, 2007

Convenience is a reason for clutter.

I just wanted to get this thought down while I was thinking about it. As I was going through the list of things I own, I realized that I own no less then six garbage cans. Two in the kitchen, one in the bathroom, one in the bedroom, one in the washroom and a last one in the living room. Now, my apartment is not that big and since my food waste, (the little food waste that I have between Toby and Fiona), goes into left over jars. So I've ditched the six trash cans and have gotten one large 55 gallon one. I won't have to buy 3 different sizes of trash bags and if I have to walk a few steps so much the better.

But it got me thinking about how much clutter is convenience. At one time I had many different means of cutting up food. I had a Veg-o-matic, another cutter similar to it that pushed the vegetable through a vertical grid of blades. A set of knifes. A box grader. A Chop-o-matic for herbs, nuts, etc. A garlic press. So let's see that, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 different things to cut/chop up food. They've all been replaced by one very good knife. Now I paid as much for the one knife as I paid for all the other put together but it will last me years.

Convenience is a reason for clutter.
--
Give the hardest job to the laziest man and he'll find the easiest way to do it. www.thelaziestman.com

0 comments: