Tuesday, December 25, 2007

100 item challenge UPDATE 67 ITEMS

Well, I went online and started searching for anyone else doing the 100 Item Challenge and came across this post from zenhabits and found that there was a few points the I didn't notice the first time around. So I went back to Dave Bruno's website, the guy who started this whole thing. Here's the point I missed.

You only do personal items, you don't have to include everything.

Hmmm, kind of a big point to miss, eh? Since I live alone I figured everything was going to be included. After all, it was all my personal stuff. The way he puts it:

I'm going to limit my personal stuff to 100 items. Shrewd readers of this blog will immediately wonder, what constitutes personal stuff? Pretty much whatever I say. But for now a "personal stuff" does not include:



  • Books, including maps - likely the stuff-vice I'll carry with me to my grave

  • Tools - will hopefully get this category down to 100 sometime down the road

  • Collections - for example my Marklin train collection is 1 item for now. And my collection of underwear is one 1 item for now. (Like I'd go down to 1 pair. Give me a break.) But really I don't have a lot of collections. I've always kind of wanted to, cause it seems cool to collect something. I've just never been able to muster the passion necessary.

  • And stuff I cannot claim as 100% or close to 100% mine, i.e. I'm not going to toss the Hobbit picture hanging in our hallway or chuck the one radio we own, though both happened to be gifts given to me. These things don't really belong to "me" so much as our home. Someday our family might choose to take up the 100 Thing Challenge for home decorations, furnishings, and accessories. But I'm starting this challenge realistic.

Heck, I could have been done the first WEEK if I had noticed that! I guess it comes down to some things you just have to have. Even though it's "your" personal stuff, some of it is just essential. Dishes, clothes. Now this is with counting some items as a collection. DVDs, Books, underwear, etc. So here's what I have left. Using collections I started with 1043 single actual items, most being books and DVDs, down to single actual items
135 and now down to. DA-TA 67 items. I may break some of the collections up after a bit, but this is enough for now.


Kitchen (7) (9 single actual items)

Can Rack
Dog Clippers
Iron
Magnetic Knife Holder
Presto Kettle
Tongs
Knife Sharpener (2)
Chair

Living Room (30) (361 single actual items)
60" Ruler
Baby Gate
Blood Pressure Cuff
Brass Duck
Camera
Cell Phone
Chair
Clock
Coleman Lamp
Computer
Creeper
Desk Lamp
Dog Leash (4)
Dog Pillow (2)
Drill
Ds Lite
DSL Modem (Do I Really Own This?)
DVD Collection (325)
Flash Memory Stick (2)
Hey Kool-Aid Pitcher Being Used As A Penny Jar
Inkjet Combo
Ironing Board
Laser Printer
Mini Ironing Board
Pen Holder
Hand Weights (3)
Phone
Sewing Machine
Smoke Bottle
Video Cam

Bathroom (4) (7 single actual items)
Electric Shaver
Photo
Rug Set (4)
Showers Head


Bedroom (17) (36 single actual items)
Bed
Belt (2)
Blanket (4)
Coleman Lamp
Fan
Fitted Sheet (3)
Flat Sheet
Garbage Can
Hand Washer
Heater
Washcloth (4)
Notepad
Shoes (2)
Towel (5)
Underwear (8)

Hall Closet (5) (5 single actual items)
Juggling Stuff
Power Strip
Hand Saw
Jigsaw
Toolkit

Washroom (4) (6 single actual items)
Brooms (2)
Buckets (2)
Dustpan
Mop



0 comments: