Monday, October 15, 2007

Blog Action Day: Environment

I am very excited about the idea of Blog Action Day. Hundreds of people writing about one thing so that thousands of people can read about it. It like throwing a lot of little pebbles into a pond and watching the ripples bounce off of each other, creating more and still more ripples.
Environment has a lot to do with how you define it.

i.e., the totality of surrounding conditions; "he longed for the comfortable environment of his living room" or
the area in which something exists or lives; "the country--the flat agricultural surround"

The first thing that came into my mind was the environment around me.
This time last year I was working too jobs, had a 3 bedroom 2 bath house with the only ones living in it was myself and my dogs. Toby and Fiona. Then I started talking with one of my co-worker, Karen and her husband John. Who made me start thinking about the life I was living.

I started reading blogs like Best Green Blogs and from there went to Green as a Thistle and Little Blog In The Big Woods and too many others to list n this rant. I started to see how cluttered my life was and I started to think how I used to live. I grew up on living on a farm part of each year with my grandparents. I had an uncle who raised tobacco, one who raised cattle and horses.

There was nothing like walking outinto the field and picking a tomato off of the vine, brush off the dirt and eat it without washing it first. Picking corn and taking it straight into the house and into a pot of boiling water. Heck, sometimes I'd eat a ear raw on the way back to the house. I had forgotten how good food could taste. So I want to go back 40 years ago and eat like that again.

Nowadays the dogs and I live in a single bedroom apartment. When I couldn't sell the house I let it go the way of foreclosure. It's costing me money and making life really hard but in a year and half I'll be debt free and can start working on saving the money for a piece of land of my own where the dogs and I can live off the grid.

I've turned off my refrigerator to force myself to eat better. Now I pretty much stop and get what I'm going to eat for supper. I've started canning and eating as much organic as I can. I've taken the 100 Thing Challenge from Stuck in Stuff. I'm not there yet but I'm getting there. And more important than that, I'm letting people know. I tell people that I've turned off my refrigerator and the look on their faces!
I'm making a ripple.

0 comments: